The Sklar Kirsh Litigation Practice Group is dedicated to providing premiere level legal representation to clients, no matter how large or small, across a broad spectrum of industries.
Our clients include Fortune 500 industry leaders, closely-held companies, and individuals in market sectors that range from entertainment and media, technology, marketing and communications, retail, apparel, manufacturing, energy, financial services, and real estate. We have skilled practitioners with deep experience in handling contract, complex commercial, partnership/shareholder, accounting, intellectual property, trade secret, right of publicity, right of privacy, fiduciary duty, unfair competition, and real estate litigation.
We view our role as not only litigators, but trusted counselors to our clients. We recognize that in many instances our clients’ interests are best served by avoiding litigation. So, we regularly provide counsel on ways to successfully navigate around a dispute. But we are seasoned trial lawyers prepared to aggressively represent our clients’ interests in controversies that require litigation, whether in court, through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms, or before administrative bodies.
- Lead trial counsel for a major energy company in dispute with one of the world's largest oil companies. The oil company sought $32 million plus punitive damages based on alleged lost profits and equipment damages from electrical interruptions to a California refinery. After a four-week trial in federal court (Central District of California), the jury returned a straight defense verdict in our favor on all claims. This case was profiled in Law360.
- Represented retail landlords nationwide to enforce their lease rights in asset sales and reorganizations during Chapter 11 bankruptcies. National multi-location retail tenants have included Kmart, Payless Shoes, Sports Authority, Toys R Us, Hometown Buffet, Hollywood Video, Linens ‘n Things, Mervyns, Bally’s Hotels and Casinos, Circuit City, Anchor Blue, KB Toys, RadioShack, Fresh & Easy, and Mattress Firm.
- Represented utility company in action by owner of wind generation facilities seeking $30 million for alleged breach of interconnection agreements. Obtained a favorable settlement following successful motions and agency decision.
- Represented real estate agents, brokers, mortgage companies, and brokerage firms in connection with purchase and sale agreements, non-disclosure litigation and breach of fiduciary duty claims.
- Represented a utility company against claims brought by a power provider for enforcement of PURPA and for damages under various 42 U.S.C. § 1983 theories. Negotiated a voluntary dismissal of most claims and prevailed on summary judgment on the remaining claims.
- Represented office, industrial, retail, and multi-family commercial landlords in their lease disputes involving claims for breach of lease, tenant defaults, guaranty litigation, and other disputes.
- Represented a utility company in disputes with municipalities over public work fees.
- Represented a real estate developer of a 25-unit apartment complex in defending against claims made by a lending institution.
- Represented a utility company in a putative class action involving electric metering. Obtained the dismissal of class allegations.
- Represented clients in construction defect litigation, involving both residential and commercial properties.