ELAN BLOCH, PARTNER
- University of Southern California, B.A., Business Administration, Cum Laude
- Loyola Law School, J.D.
- California State Bar
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
Elan Bloch represents clients in a variety of matters, with a particular emphasis on complex commercial litigation. Elan has extensive experience handling disputes involving real estate, partnerships, breach of fiduciary duty, breach of contract, corporate governance, and unfair competition, among others, in both state and federal courts. He also assists clients with performing internal investigations, resolving partnership issues, forming limited liability companies, and providing general business guidance. Elan has garnered a reputation for being a zealous advocate and adeptly navigating difficult legal issues.
In addition to his litigation practice, Elan also routinely acts as outside general counsel for corporate and individual clients, providing advice and best practices in areas including, but not limited to, employment, real estate, corporate governance, and trade secret protection, as well as assisting in the preparation and negotiation of loan agreements, purchase and sale agreements, and various other agreements.
Before practicing law, Elan gained invaluable hands-on experience in the real estate industry, working for several years as a licensed commercial real estate agent and handling acquisitions for a large commercial real estate developer.
While attending law school, Elan served as an extern for a Federal Judge in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California, during which time he developed a strong desire to be in the Courtroom.
Prior to joining Sklar Kirsh, LLP, Elan was a partner at a litigation boutique in Los Angeles, and prior to that, was part of a team handling complex commercial litigation at an Am Law 200 firm.
A Los Angeles native, Elan graduated with honors from the University of Southern California in 2005, with a B.S. in Business Administration, and subsequently received his J.D. from Loyola Law School, Los Angeles. While in law school, Elan served as an Editor on the Loyola Entertainment Law Review.
- Obtained full dismissal of action brought in Federal Court against water cooler products seller by its competitor for Lanham Act claims, including false advertising, violation of unfair competition law, and breach of contract.
- Represented client against a former board of directors advisor in prosecuting claims for intentional interference with prospective economic advantage, diversion of corporate opportunities, and unfair business practices, involving complex issues of international law, and resulting in favorable client settlement.
- Represented founder and owner of a nightclub against his institutional partner, resulting in advantageous buy-out that restored full ownership to the client.
- Obtained dismissal of action brought against a national franchisor by a franchisee association, resulting in the validation of numerous business practices and preventing future litigation by successfully challenging associational standing.
- Represented lender in a UCC Foreclosure action and subsequent adversary proceeding in Bankruptcy Court to facilitate client collection of multi-million dollar disbursement from Debtor’s Bankruptcy Estate.
- Represented founding partners of a professional sports event against their institutional partners, resulting in advantageous buy-out of the clients’ interests.
- Represented wrongfully terminated executive of a professional sports team and obtained sizeable severance on behalf of client.
- Represented talent before the California Labor Commissioner in asserting claims under the Talent Agency Act against manager resulting in favorable client settlement.
- Obtained sizeable settlement on behalf of a group of medical professionals against their institutional landlord, associated with claims for fraud in the procurement of leases and lease extensions.
- Prosecuted claims on behalf of the minority owner of an aviation overhauler against its majority shareholder resulting in a favorable buy out of the client’s interest in the corporation.
- Served as outside General Counsel, negotiating millions of dollars in secured loans, real estate acquisitions, and assisting clients in the sale of their businesses to institutional investors.
- Super Lawyers – “Southern California Rising Star” (2017 – 2022)