Entertainment & Media
The Sklar Kirsh Entertainment & Media Practice Group regularly counsels clients in the entertainment and media industry on matters ranging from film, television and digital media development, production, finance, and distribution to complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, and joint ventures. The attorneys in our Entertainment & Media Practice Group possess a deep knowledge of the industry and its players as well as significant experience in executing transactions throughout the entertainment and media space. Three of our partners previously served as General Counsel and/or Head of Business Affairs at entertainment and media companies, which gives them an insider’s view into the needs of our entertainment and media clients and a pragmatic, solution-oriented approach.
Sklar Kirsh’s Entertainment & Media Practice Group’s deep expertise and insider understanding, coupled with our sophisticated corporate practice, enables us to guide our clients through their most significant transactions as well as their bread and butter dealings in producing and exploiting content.
- Represented Criminal Productions, LLC, one of the top narrative audio storytelling studios, founded by former public radio journalists Phoebe Judge and Lauren Spohrer, in its sale to Vox Media. Criminal has launched three successful podcast franchises that garner millions of downloads a month, highlighted by its breakout narrative series Criminal, one of the first and biggest true crime podcasts, and followed by the hopeful series This Is Love and the daily program Phoebe Reads a Mystery. Read about the deal here.
- Represented CineVizion in its sale to Platinum Equity, as part of Platinum’s larger acquisition of Deluxe Entertainment’s distribution business. The transaction reunites CineVizion’s founders Cyril Drabinsky and Warren Stein, the former long-time CEO and COO of Deluxe, back in those roles. Read about the deal here.
- Represented The Ringer (Bill Simmons Media Group) in podcast and video distribution deals with Luminary and Hulu, respectively.
- Represented celebrity stylist, Karla Welch, in connection with her collaboration with Justin Bieber and the launch of x karla and the Hanes x karla apparel line inspired by Justin Bieber.
- Represented Byron Allen’s company, Allen Media, in connection with a mid-nine figure, syndicated credit facility.
- Represented Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios in its purchase of the Weather Group, LLC, parent company of The Weather Channel television network and Local Now streaming service.
- Represented Mar Vista Entertainment, a leading producer of made for television films, in a recently closed eight-figure revolving credit facility provided by Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
- Represented Byron Allen’s, Entertainment Studios, in connection with multiple P&A loans for widely released theatrical motion pictures, including 47 Meters Down, Hostiles, and Chappaquiddick.
- Represented Otter Media (a joint venture between The Chernin Group and AT&T) in establishing a partnership with Reese Witherspoon for a female-focused digital media company.
- Represented Pixelogic Media, a leading, full-service, post-production services company in its various growth and acquisition financings, including in connection with a strategic investment by Japan’s Imagica Group, Inc. and credit facility provided by Praesidian Capital, Plexus Capital and other private lenders.