Entertainment & Media
The Sklar Kirsh Entertainment & Media Practice Group regularly counsels clients in the entertainment and media industry on matters ranging from film, television and digital media development, production, finance, and distribution to complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, and joint ventures. The attorneys in our Entertainment & Media Practice Group possess a deep knowledge of the industry and its players as well as significant experience in executing transactions throughout the entertainment and media space. Three of our partners previously served as General Counsel and/or Head of Business Affairs at entertainment and media companies, which gives them an insider’s view into the needs of our entertainment and media clients and a pragmatic, solution-oriented approach.
Sklar Kirsh’s Entertainment & Media Practice Group’s deep expertise and insider understanding, coupled with our sophisticated corporate practice, enables us to guide our clients through their most significant transactions as well as their bread and butter dealings in producing and exploiting content.
- Represented The Ringer (Bill Simmons Media Group) in podcast and video distribution deals with Luminary and Hulu, respectively.
- Represented celebrity stylist, Karla Welch, in connection with her collaboration with Justin Bieber and the launch of x karla and the Hanes x karla apparel line inspired by Justin Bieber.
- Represented Byron Allen’s company, Allen Media, in connection with a mid-nine figure, syndicated credit facility.
- Represented Byron Allen’s Entertainment Studios in its purchase of the Weather Group, LLC, parent company of The Weather Channel television network and Local Now streaming service.
- Represented Mar Vista Entertainment in amending and extending its senior secured revolving credit facility.
- Represented Byron Allen’s, Entertainment Studios, in connection with multiple P&A loans for widely released theatrical motion pictures, including 47 Meters Down, Hostiles, and Chappaquiddick.
- Represented Otter Media (a joint venture between The Chernin Group and AT&T) in establishing a partnership with Reese Witherspoon for a female-focused digital media company.
- Represented a post-production company in an eight figure acquisition and the related private placement of acquisition financing (notes and equity).
- Represented Deluxe Entertainment Services Group Inc. in more than 35 domestic and international acquisition, disposition, strategic alliance, and joint venture transactions, including: $68 million acquisition of Ascent Media, disposition of fulfillment services business to Vision Media Management, and EchoStar digital cinema satellite delivery joint venture, in equity investments, including preferred and common equity and warrants, and in multiple refinancings of its first and second lien credit facilities.
- Represented CRP MB Studios Equipment Holdings LLC (a subsidiary of The Carlyle Group) in connection with their acquisition (through a capital lease) of grip lighting an electrical equipment from Hollywood Rentals.