Litigation / Business & Commercial
Our team has extensive experience handling an array of complex commercial disputes across a wide range of industries, including technology, gaming, retail, apparel, hospitality, manufacturing, energy, finance, and real estate. We have a long track record of providing clients with strategic advice and aggressive representation in matters involving:
- General business torts
- Contract and fraud claims
- Partnership and shareholder disputes
- Fiduciary duty, joint venture, and officer/director liability claims
- Trade secrets disputes
- Unfair competition claims
We recognize that a deep understanding our clients’ business objectives is integral to serving their best interests. From the outset, all work is done in close consultation with our clients. Our approach is to evaluate all potential disputes to determine if litigation can be avoided, or if not, to identify early exit options such as motions to dismiss, summary judgment, or settlement. For those cases that require litigation through trial and judgment, our team has successfully tried cases in court and through alternative dispute resolution mechanisms against the world’s largest firms.
- Lead trial counsel for a major energy company in dispute with one of the world's largest oil companies. The oil company sought $32 million plus punitive damages based on alleged lost profits and equipment damages from electrical interruptions to a California refinery. After a four-week trial in federal court (Central District of California), the jury returned a straight defense verdict in our favor on all claims. This case was profiled in Law360.
- Represented home purchasers in a dispute over fraudulent representations and concealment during the sales process. Negotiated a favorable resolution involving re-purchase of the home by the sellers.
- Represented an actuarial company in a dispute involving trade secrets, accounting, and restrictive covenants on competition.
- Represented a major coffee retail chain in a trademark, trade secret, and unfair competition suit brought by a store designer.
- Represented a Fortune 500 land development company in prosecuting an extortion and defamation lawsuit against parties who launched a highly orchestrated Internet attack on the company.