Litigation / Entertainment & Media Litigation
Our attorneys routinely handle all manner of entertainment and media disputes. We recognize that having a deep understanding of the applicable law is only part of what a successful entertainment litigator must bring to the table. Understanding the industry itself, and its unique sensitivities, allows us to provide counsel to our clients that is both effective and practical.
We have extensive experience successfully representing producer-side clients, including television and motion picture studios, in accounting, contract and profit participation disputes, as well as against claims involving copyright, trademark, right of publicity and privacy, and trade secrets. Our work for entertainment industry clients also includes representing post-production and digital services providers in business and intellectual property disputes, and handling IFTA arbitrations involving foreign distributors. We likewise have extensive experience working with high-profile individuals on public and private disputes concerning their business interests, conflicts with agents and managers, and avoiding negative tabloid exposure.
- Represented a motion picture studio in a copyright and trademark dispute over animated character rights. Prevailed on a dispositive motion and obtained a $2 million attorney fee award.
- Represented a production company in a privacy dispute concerning content of a reality television program. Prevailed on an anti-SLAPP motion and obtained attorneys' fees award.
- Represented television studio and series creator in copyright action. Obtained complete dismissal of action through motion, and secured six-figure award of attorneys' fees against plaintiff.
- Represented production companies and studios in a host of disputes involving copyright and state law implied contract claims for alleged theft of ideas. Prevailed in summary judgment and negotiated early resolutions.
- Represented a production company in an AFMA arbitration against a foreign distribution company over minimum guarantee payments. Negotiated a favorable resolution.
- Represented individual entertainers, athletes, models, and other celebrities in matters involving tabloid stories, personal service contracts, endorsements, and manager/agent claims.
- Represented high-profile executive of an entertainment company in a dispute over separation and continuing rights in intellectual property.
- Represented a television studio against participation claims brought by heirs of the creators of a popular soap opera. Negotiated a favorable resolution.
- Represented New Line Cinema against accounting and breach of contract claims by writer-director-producer Peter Jackson. Plaintiff also asserted so-called "vertical integration" claims related to distribution licenses involving affiliated companies.
- Represent a trust controlling literary rights to science fiction works in copyright and participation accounting disputes against a production company.