Sklar Kirsh provides comprehensive legal services to institutional and non-institutional lenders, real estate funds, individual investors, and family offices with respect to a wide array of real estate financings. We advise our clients on the structuring, negotiating and closing of financing transactions involving CMBS lending, senior mortgage financings, construction financings, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac multifamily loan programs, loan syndications and loan participations, subordinated debt and mezzanine lending.
Our real estate finance attorneys are well-versed in navigating sophisticated commercial real estate transactions in all sectors in and outside of Southern California. We also have significant experience representing borrowers and lenders in restructuring, workout and defeasance transactions.
Our depth of knowledge and experience allows us to successfully handle complex transactions and deliver legal services of the highest quality to our clients without losing sight of practical considerations.
SEE ALL Representative Matters
- Represented NextGen Apartments LLC in connection with the $9,485,000 refinancing of the Rosedown Apartments, a 108 unit apartment complex located at 6500 47th Street, Sacramento, California 95823. Financing was provided by Greystone Servicing Corporation, Inc./Fannie Mae who was represented by Cassin & Cassin LLP. The refinancing included the defeasance of a loan held by CitiBank, N.A., as Trustee for the registered holders of Deutsche Mortgage & Asset Receiving Corporation, Multifamily Mortgage Pass-Through Certificates, Series 2011-K16 who was represented by Polsinelli.
- Represented Tanglewoods Apartments LLC, an affiliate of The Lighthouse Group, LLC, in connection with its refinancing of a 772-unit apartment complex in Indianapolis, Indiana, commonly known as The Legend at Speedway. The $26,700,000 loan was originated by Berkeley Point Capital LLC dba Newmark Knight Frank on behalf of Fannie Mae. The lender was represented by Pepper Hamilton LLP.
- Represented RC Acquisitions (“RCA”) in connection with the modification of two existing loans with Citibank, N.A. (“Lender”) covering RCA’s properties located at 131 S. Maple Drive, Beverly Hills, California and 9955 Durant Drive, Beverly Hills, California. The modification facilitated RCA’s $80,000,000 acquisition of the Linea Apartments located at 215 West Lake Street, Chicago, Illinois. The Lender was represented by Real Estate Law Group, LLP.
- Represented Lyon Living in connection with the refinancing of an existing loan (senior and mezz) on “The George”, a residential apartment community located in Anaheim, California. The refinancing consisted of a $95,600,000 senior loan from HFF (represented by Moss & Barnett), and a $11,520,000 preferred equity investment from Fundrise West Coast Opportunistic REIT, LLC (represented by Ballard Spahr).
- Represented Mosaic Real Estate Investors, LLC (“Mosaic”) in connection with a $29,000,000 hybrid preferred equity investment in Mosaic Aetna Springs Resorts JV, LLC, a joint venture between Mosaic and Alchemy Resorts, LLC, for the purpose of a 3,520 acre luxury resort property in Napa County, California, which is comprised of an 80 key resort village, 44 residential properties, multiple vineyards and a 9-hole golf course. Alchemy Resorts was represented by DLA Piper.
- Represented Shopoff Realty Investments L.P. (“Shopoff”) in connection with the $25,000,000 refinancing of Shopoff’s leasehold interest in the Westkin Portfolio. The Westkin Portfolio is comprised of two (2) developments totaling approximately 811 acres of land in Cathedral City, CA, subleased to 1,927 individual households, two country clubs, one hotel, one business park and one self-storage facility. The developments are referred to most commonly as Las Estancias (Desert Princess) and Falcon Lake (Cathedral Canyon). The loan to fund the refinancing was provided by UMB Bank, N.A. (“UMB”). UMB was represented by Mayer Brown LLP.
- Represented an affiliate of Lion Real Estate Group in connection with the refinancing of the “Brownstone Lofts” located at 1168 Bellevue Avenue in Los Angeles, with a $15,000,000 loan from USAA Life Insurance Company that also included a loan defeasance. The lender was represented by Barack Ferrazzano Kirschbaum & Nagelberg LLP.
- Represented Shopoff Realty Investments, L.P. in connection with obtaining an $10,400,000 refinance loan for Los Alisos Retail Center located in Mission Viejo, California. Financing was provided by Ladder Capital Finance LLC which was represented by Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP’s Los Angeles office.
- Represented a subsidiary of Vista Investment Group, LLC in its refinance of real property located at 3100 N. 1st Street, San Jose, California. The refinance loan in the amount of $25,000,000 was provided by East West Bank.
- Represented B.H. Properties, LLC and five of its affiliates in obtaining a borrowing base loan from U.S. Bank in the original principal amount of $85,000,000 (with the ability to increase such amount to $100,000,000). The loan is secured by four office buildings in Arizona, one in Texas and one in North Carolina. The lender was represented by Sheppard Mullin.