LOVEE SARENAS, SENIOR COUNSEL
Lovee Sarenas is Senior Counsel in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring group of Sklar Kirsh LLP. Her practice focuses on financial restructuring, business reorganizations, and trustee representations in Chapter 7 and 11 cases.
Over the last 20 years, Lovee has represented a variety of corporate and individual debtors, including those within the technology and wine industries. She has also represented publications, institutional banks and creditors, committees of unsecured creditors, turnaround professionals, and fiduciaries in chapter 7 liquidations and chapter 11 reorganizations cases, out-of-court workouts, and corporate wind downs. Lovee’s experience enables her to develop cost-effective solutions for the wide range of financial situations that her clients may encounter.
Throughout her career, Lovee has played a critical role in a number of reorganization, restructuring, and insolvency matters, including:
- Serving as debtor-in-possession counsel to Commerce One, Inc. in the sale of its web services patent with an estimated value at $1 million which sold for $15.5 million thereby resulting in a 100% distribution to unsecured creditors.
- Representing several Committees of Unsecured Creditors in various reorganization cases including the case of Cornerstone, Inc. which resulted in a $9.5 million settlement distribution to unsecured creditors.
- Successfully representing and defending several institutional clients such as AIG, Citibank, N.A., State Farm, Asiana, Korean Airlines, Ruby’s Diner, Inc., American Hallmark Insurance, and Public Storage in a variety of bankruptcy matters and avoidance claims.
- Serving as counsel to several foreign companies such as British and Korean retail creditors and Korean power and solar energy corporations in major bankruptcy cases such as Forever21, Charlotte Russe, Sears, Inc., IntelSat S.A., and Speedcast.
- Defending an aviation client in a fraudulent transfer claim that reduced a $5 million claim to a de minimus settlement amount.
- Serving as counsel on the DIP team that advised the Legacy Group in the reorganization of the Freemark Abbey winery in Napa, CA.
Prior to joining Sklar Kirsh, Lovee was a partner at Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP and a member of the executive committee of its national insolvency and bankruptcy practice. Lovee was the first Filipino-American to serve as a judicial clerk for two bankruptcy judges: the Hon. Ellen A. Carroll (ret.) and the Hon. Richard M. Neiter (ret.) of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Central District of California. Prior to her clerkship with Judge Neiter, Lovee practiced as a restructuring attorney for a prominent chapter 11 boutique bankruptcy firm in Northern California.
Lovee has been recognized through several leadership roles in various bar and community organizations in Los Angeles, including the California Bankruptcy Forum, Los Angeles Bankruptcy Forum, the Small Business Reorganization Task Force, and UPAAGLA Board of Directors. She is a member of the USC Gould School of Law adjunct faculty and she serves as an adjunct professor of bankruptcy law at Southwestern Law School in Los Angeles.
In her free time, Lovee enjoys playing golf with her two young daughters and husband, traveling, and volunteering.
- “Bankruptcy Law Tries to Diversify,” Daily Journal, July 12, 2021