Sklar Kirsh has significant experience representing all parties in the insolvency process — debtors, creditors, committees, trustees and asset buyers.
Our clients include business and property owners, landlords, secured and unsecured creditors, Chapter 11 debtors in possession, financial institutions, asset-based lenders, management companies, high-net worth individuals and purchasers of financially distressed businesses. We protect our clients and their interests by prosecuting and defending claims of fraudulent transfer, preference actions, nondischargeability and bar to discharge actions, and other bankruptcy-related matters. We also have significant experience representing landlords throughout the country in high-profile, multi-location, retail Chapter 11 bankruptcies and providing guidance to companies in all stages of their life cycles.
- Represented the majority owner of a 100,000+ sq. ft. shopping center that had multiple owners. Despite a contentious battle with the other owners and the lender, we were able to successfully resolve the disputes resulting in a confirmed Chapter 11 plan of reorganization.
- Represented AVP Pro Beach Volleyball, based in Southern California, in its bankruptcy and eventual sale to a new owner, which breathed new life into what is today viewed as the premier pro beach volleyball tournament.
- Represented Reference Clothing Company in its Chapter 11 proceedings, which included maximizing profitability in under-market leases and other lease issues for its 60 retail locations. We eventually guided the apparel company in its sale through a successful auction to the Forever 21 chain.
- Represented East Coast Bagel Co. in its bankruptcy and reorganization. The process included bringing in strategic investment advisors, marketing assets, finding the optimal buyer, and guiding the company through an auction process that maximized return to creditors and maintained the multi-location chain's brand.
- Represented owners of a Radisson hotel (200+ keys) in greater Los Angeles as debtor and debtor in possession. Our attorneys guided the owners through a successful Chapter 11 process, which included an asset sale and contentious claims in a companion case.
- Represented retail landlords nationwide to enforce their lease rights in asset sales and reorganizations during Chapter 11 bankruptcies. National multi-location retail tenants have included Kmart, Payless Shoes, Sports Authority, Toys R Us, Hometown Buffet, Hollywood Video, Linens ‘n Things, Mervyns, Bally’s Hotels and Casinos, Circuit City, Anchor Blue, KB Toys, RadioShack, Fresh & Easy, and Mattress Firm.